Are you thinking of adding a deck to your home? Make sure to use hardwoods to ensure longevity and to protect your investment. You can choose from a wide range of eco-friendly hardwoods like Ipe, Garapa, Tigerwood, Jatoba, and more. Each type of hardwood has its specific characteristics, but they all offer these advantages:
- Affordable price – Some hardwoods seem to cost more on the onset, but if you think about it in the long run, they might actually come out cheaper. If you opt for composite or cheap wood, you might have to replace your deck after just a few years.
- Longevity – Hardwood decking will definitely last for decades with basic care.
- Low maintenance – Hardwood is very easy to maintain. Some types of hardwood simply need a UV finisher so its color will not fade. Apart from that, you just need to sweep off or hose down dirt and your decking will look as new as the day it was made.
- No need for harmful chemicals – Bugs are no match for hardwood—they can’t bite into them.
- Moisture resistant – Even if your decking gets wet, you don’t have to worry about moisture or rotting when it is made of hardwood. Some hardwoods have extractives in their heartwood, which naturally ward off fungi.
- Aesthetically pleasing – You can choose from a wide range of graining and colors when you opt for hardwood. Some types of hardwood also look better when they are stained or painted. The possibilities for your decking can be endless.
- Boosts property value – If you are planning to sell your home, a quick way to get more buyers is to add a deck that extends your living and entertainment area. The use of high-quality materials such as hardwood can be an excellent selling point for your house. You might be able to get a higher price.