Are you thinking of adding a deck to your home? Be sure to use a hardwood such as Brazilian oak—also known as Garapa—to get the best value for your investment. A Brazilian oak deck can definitely add elegance to your home and even boost the value of your property. Here are some things you need to know about this material and why it’s an excellent choice:
- Excellent color – Brazilian oak decking usually take on a rich yellow-honey color. Its irregular fine grain and medium texture adds interest. If you don’t want your Garapa to turn to a shade of gray, apply UV finishers. Some people prefer a vintage-like look to their Brazilian oak decking so they leave it out in the sun for a few weeks before adding a finisher.
- A very long life span – One of the main reasons why hardwoods can be pricey is because they offer excellent quality. Brazilian oak decking can last for over 25 years, depending on how you take care of it and the weather condition where you live.
- Naturally biodegradable – Unlike composite wood, Brazilian oak will not fill up the landfills. It simply returns to the earth.
- Cost efficient – When it comes to durability, Garapa is comparable to Ipe (another type of hardwood), but it is much more affordable.
- Needs little maintenance – One of the best things about Brazilian oak is that you don’t need to worry about it too much, so you can enjoy your deck fully. This material is very strong and durable. What’s more, you don’t need to pile chemicals on to it just to ward off the elements. Brazilian oak decking can resist everything from water damage to rot and decay. As long as water does not permeate the wood, your Brazilian oak decking will resist fungi and termites.
Purchase Brazilian oak wood only from reputable sellers. The best suppliers source their Brazilian oak from sustainable managed forests from South Africa.