Deck Finishing – Photo Journey
We recently helped out a local customer who needed his Brazilian Ipe deck Finished. I was along with a camera so we can share with you how easy it is to start your deck on the proper way to a long and beautiful life.
The project was to apply Deck Finisher to a new home in Atlanta. This home has two large porches. The customer installed our Conventional Ipe 1×6 decking on both the upper and lower porches. The total size is approximately 1000 square feet.
The total time for 4 men was approximately 4 hours. Part of this time was moving construction materials so we could work on the deck.
- 5 gallon bucket
- 4 Gallons of deck Finisher
- 2 – long handle bristle brooms (see photo of blue broom right)
- Various rags and a Tee-Shirt
- Mineral spirits or paint thinner for clean up
- 4 Men
- We used the 5 Gallon bucket to hold our deck Finisher
- The blue broom was used as a applicator to insure our was distributed deep between on the sides of the deck boards
- The second blue broom was wrapped with a tee-shirt to become a second applicator and to smooth out any excess finisher.
- SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING. DO NOT add thinning or blending agents.
Apply Finisher to a clean, dry surface.
- Surface must be free of dirt and sawdust build-up. Do not apply in direct, HOT sunlight (when wood is hot to the touch).
- You can see here how your deck will have the colors you expect from Ipe or any decking by the application of the UV Finishers.
- Still wet but you can see this will be a beautiful deck with the colors really brought to life with the deck Finisher
- Surface will be dry to the touch in three hours, and ready for use in 24 hours
- Total time for 4 men was under four hours
Other photo tips Ipe Deck Cleaning and Cleaning and Finishing 2
Note: It is the responsibility of you the owner or installer to adequately test pressure washing, cleaning or finishing for product suitability and application method for your particular installation. The above are techniques that have worked for others in the past and we want to share information that we hear for the benefit of others. However, you need to test and insure that any of these ideas will work in your specific application.