Cedar decking is a very popular decking option because of its ample benefits. Building a cedar deck allows you to add usable square footage in your backyard—a brand new space that you can use as an extra gathering spot for family and friends, as well as for relaxing by yourself on a lazy weekend. Here are some benefits of using cedar wood for decking applications:
- Remarkable dimensional stability – No matter what the temperature, humidity, or weather conditions, your cedar wood decking will resist change in terms of dimension or shape. Other types of decking materials may warp due to moisture but cedar wood will tend to stay flat and straight.
- Aesthetically pleasing – Cedar wood decking makes a home look elegant and polished. You can choose to retain the natural color of cedar (which is light brown or cream) or have it stained and varnished without losing the natural grain texture.
- Highly resistant to damage – Are you worried about moisture, insects, or rotting? Don’t be, because cedar is resistant to all those. Your cedar wood decking can last for years without requiring maintenance or repairs.
- Wonderful scent – If you intend to install a hot tub in your decking, then go for cedar wood. Unlike other types of decking materials, the aroma of cedar is natural and is not a risk to your health.
- Easy to work with – Even simple tools can be used on cedar wood.
- Eco-friendly – Cedar trees grow fairly quickly. It’s easy to find manufacturers that source their cedar wood decking materials from responsibly managed forests. Cedar wood is a sustainable material that has a low environmental impact.