Finishing Products for
all Brazilian Hardwoods
A maintenance coat of Hardwood Finish should be applied within 3-6 months after the initial application or as soon as oil looks depleted. The next maintenance coat should be done again in approximately 10-12 months or whenever oil looks depleted.
Over time, the wood fibers become fully protected and the maintenance will become less frequent.
Wash the wood with a mild cleanser and warm water. Rinse well. Allow wood to dry for a minimum of 48 hours before application. Apply maintenance coat of Hardwood Finish. After 20-30 minutes of absorption time, wipe the surface with a nap-free, clean, dry cloth.
Ipe Oil™ – Deck Oil
Your Ipe or Brazilian Hardwood Deck adds value to your deck. These woods are very dense and durable and will last a lifetime.
However, to maintain their rich color you will have to periodically apply a UV Inhibitor finisher. Ipe Oil or Messmer’s Hardwood UV Plus will keep our deck looking its best.
Ipe Oil™ provides:
* Exceptional penetration
* Natural grain enhancement
* Water repellency
* U.V. barrier protection
* Reduces chances of warps & cracks
* Hardwood Decks
* All Exterior Wood Surfaces
* Wood Railings
Clean your Ipe Deck
Clean all the dirt and leaves off of the deck. If you are re-oiling, you should consider a deck cleaner such as Messmer’s Wood and Deck Cleaner (Part A below), or other high quality of deck cleaner.
After cleaning, make sure your deck is dry. You may need to wait a few days to insure your deck is thoroughly dry.
Apply Finisher to your Ipe Deck
Make sure your finisher is mixed thoroughly. Clear or Natural finishers still have a pigment. If they were completely clear they would not be able to reflect the Ultra-Violet (UV) that causes your deck to turn gray.
Brush or Roll the finisher on your deck. Here is a photo how to of a local contractor who used unique application method to increase speed.
If you use a roller, be sure to go back and remove pudding, splotching, and get between the deck boards.
Finishing your Finisher on your Ipe Deck
Be sure to wipe up any puddles. They will show up after the deck drys and are almost impossible to remove. Get they taken care of now
Get rid of roller covers and such safely.
Penofin Hardwood Formula
Penofin Finish for Hardwood is used for all fine hardwoods such as IPE, Pau Lope®, Ironwood™, Mahogany, and Teak.
- One-coat application
- 99% ultraviolet protection via transoxide pigments
- High-grade mildewcide for mold and mildew protection
- Penetrates dense hardwood like no other product on the market
- Hardwood Finish Colors Available in a natural, transparent tone.
Hardwood Formula Application Tips
- SHAKE PRODUCT WELL BEFORE USING. DO NOT add thinning or blending agents.
- Apply Penofin to a clean, dry surface. Surface must be free of dirt and sawdust build-up. DO NOT APPLY IN DIRECT, HOT SUNLIGHT (when wood is hot to the touch)
- Brush on, use a stain pad, or spray on (garden or pump airless sprayers) one coat of Penofin.
- For maximum penetration, wait 20-30 minutes, then use a nap-free shop cloth and wipe the entire surface, removing any excess product.
- Surface will be dry to the touch in three hours and ready for use in 12 hours
- The application is now complete.
Caution & Warnings
- Combustible – keep this product away from heat, open flame, and sparks.
- Beware of spontaneous combustion. Make certain all rags or other materials used with Penofin are soaked in water, stored in an air-tight container, or otherwise disposed of safely.
Gallon Coverage – 200 sq ft
Deck Wise Cleanser and Brightener
- * Cleans and brightens exterior wood
- * Use before staining wood
- * Excellent for deck maintenance
- * Biodegradable, safe and easy to use
- * Maximum strength
Details Cleaner A
For cleaning only of IPE or Brazilian hardwood use just Wood & Deck Cleaner
Sweep excess debris (dirt and leaves) off the deck. Wet the deck surface down with clean water from the hose. Dissolve Wood & Deck Cleaner (Part A) in warm water at the recommended strength.
After waiting for several minutes for product to dissolve and activate, apply with a mop or sprayer. Let the product sit on the deck surface for at least 10 minutes, making sure to keep the deck wet with more product if it begins to dry out.
Scrub the deck boards with the grain of the wood. Rinse thoroughly with clean water. Allow the deck to dry for at least a day or two in good weather before applying any stain or finish.
Messmer’s Wood & Deck Cleaner (Part A) for all woods. Clean up to 500 square feet with one 16 oz jar.
Use Wood and Deck Cleaner (Part A) on all woods including cedar, redwood, ipe, pine, and pressure treated lumber.
It is important to clean before applying wood finishes. If you apply Ipe Oil or Messmers UV Plus or any wood finishes to a dirty wood surface, the wood will go dark and dingy.
The oils and resins in the stain entrap the dirt and make it impossible to clean until the product wears away with the top surface of the wood.
By cleaning the wood with a good quality wood cleaner like Messmer’s Wood and Deck Part A, you are properly preparing the deck or other wood surface for staining with UV Plus.
Details Brightener B
Most people do not need this
For woods prone to tannin staining such as redwood and some cedars, use Wood and Deck Brightener (Part B) to lighten wood and remove stains. The Part B also works great on iron and rust stains on all woods.
Protect the ends of your hardwood decking from cracking or checking with Ipe Seal™
Ipe Seal™ End Grain Sealer
This product is what you will find on the ends of all your deck boards. Whenever you cut a board to fit your deck you need to re-apply. If not, you will get cracking down the end of the board. This cracking, also called checking, happens in a few weeks and can extend an inch or more.
One quart can will do approximately 500 square feet. Our contractors tell us in the real world a quart will do about 130 deck boards.
Ipe Seal™ End Grain Sealer is similar to Anchorseal.